Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updates to tax form requirements for 2024

RyanJaress
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all,

We're making an update to our tax form policy. Beginning January 1, 2024, a valid tax form will be required to receive payout from Udemy. So if you're one of the few instructors who's actively earning on Udemy, but hasn't yet submitted a valid tax form, you'll need to do so in order to continue to get paid out each month. You can read more about the updated policy in the Teaching Center

Submitting a tax form can be daunting, but we have lots of great resources to help you complete the process. If you have general questions about the policy, you're welcome to ask them here. If your question is specific to your tax situation, we'd recommend you speak to a tax professional. 

Teach on,

Ryan Jaress, Community Manager

6 Comments
AhmedMahdyAhmed
Traveler Traveler
Traveler

Hey Ryan,

When I add tax information, I didn't add any tax number so I got 30% deduction every month. Do I need to resubmit anything again due to these new policies?

junderwood
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

I updated my tax form last week and received an email on Oct. 19, 2023 confirming that that I had made a change on it (my telephone number). So you have my updated W-9 and I do not owe any back taxes, so why are you NOW taking 24% from my earnings? What's going on?

junderwood
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

Okay, since it seems that no one is around today, I decided to submit my tax information again, and all was going well until I reached the point where you were supposed to send me a code to use later in the submission. I've been waiting for 1/2 hour for it so I went on. At the end, I clicked Resend Code, and it's not showing up. The first one has never shown up either and it's now nearly an hour since I asked for it (the first one). My email address is correct, so what's going on? 

junderwood
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

I've been logged out of the form because I was inactive (waiting for the code) for more than an hour. The logout message said the TIN and name I provided do not match any name and TIN combo in the IRS database. I know I entered both of them correctly. WHAT IS GOING ON? 

junderwood
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

As an employer, you are expected to go to some reasonable measure of effort to secure the correct combination of SSN and Name for the forms. Check IRS publication 1586 for guidelines for that. This document saya that the employer must conduct 3 solicitations from the employee for correct information in a given timeframe to be considered to have met reasonable standards for attempting to get correct information. I have not been contacted that there's a problem even one (1) time. But you were quick to say you're withholding the max from my Sept and October payouts. WHAT IS GOING ON? 

CA_Abhishek
Researcher
Researcher

@RyanJaress, Hi Ryan, I hope this message finds you well. My name is Abhishek Jain. I am a tax professional and an Indian CPA, and I am reaching out to express my interest in assisting Udemy instructors, particularly those based in India, who may be facing challenges related to Income Tax and GST on their Udemy income.

Having worked extensively on Indian tax matters, I understand the complexities that instructors might encounter. I specialize in helping individuals navigate these issues, including exploring avenues for Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement (DTAA) relief [to claim US withholding tax credit in Indian Tax Returns]. My goal is to provide support to Udemy instructors so they can efficiently manage their tax obligations and maximize their income. I am already working with several instructors in India, ensuring they comply with local tax regulations and optimizing their financial outcomes.

If possible, I would appreciate it if you could refer me to Indian instructors who might be interested in such assistance. I am confident that together, we can create a positive impact on both Udemy and its instructors.

Thank you for considering my proposal. I am looking forward to the possibility of collaborating with Udemy and its valued instructors.

Thanks

CA Abhishek Jain

caabhisheksjain@gmail.com