Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s new with pricing and the Deals Program - February 2024

ChrystieV
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi instructors!

In 2024, we're trying to provide more transparency and align pricing with the value you deliver to learners. We’ve highlighted our focus areas in pricing strategy for the next few months in this Teaching Center Article. You can find a summary of the updates below:

• We've adjusted our price tiers across all currencies to better reflect economic conditions and learner demand in different regions. We recommend that you check your course prices to confirm your potentially adjusted price tiers. 
  • We'll be testing promotional and pricing strategies to highlight the additional value of certification prep content and practice test product enhancements.
  • As we expand efforts to establish list price, new courses will not be discounted for the first 14 days after publishing in France and soon in Turkey. You can find the full list of countries here.
6 Comments
MichaelPog
Mentor Mentor
Mentor

@ChrystieV, looking at the price tiers in the US, nothing changed.

Price floor is $9.99.

Everything else looks the same:

https://s.udemycdn.com/support/Udemy+Price+Tier+Matrix-V3.pdf

I've found the link to the tiers from 2022:

https://teach.udemy.com/january-2022-global-pricing-update/

The link from there goes to the exact same URL and the same data.

Am I missing something? 

kathir1k
Observer
Observer

I see there's difference for countries outside of US. As far as the URL goes, its the same URL being updated every time there's an update.

MichaelPog
Mentor Mentor
Mentor

I guess my expectations were a change in prices in countries where people actually can pay more and inflation has been high.

But no changes in the US or Canada.

@ChrystieV would you be so kind as to highlight in which countries the changes were made and what are the changes, since we no longer have access to the old tiers.

ChrystieV
Community Manager
Community Manager

@MichaelPog While I can see if I can find a comparison sheet, I will note that US tiers did not have as big of a change; the changes were focused mostly on other currencies. The changes in the US included adding tiers at 22.99 and 27.99 and getting rid of 169.99 and 179.99.

MichaelPog
Mentor Mentor
Mentor

Thank you @ChrystieV for your response.

I appreciate it, and there is no need to look for a comparison sheet. 
I don't want you to do extra work for nothing.

I think I'm the problem here.

Based on Genefa Murphy's AMA, I naively thought that by "charging in certain markets where people can pay more." and "making Udemy more about quality",  it would mean that the prices in the US and Canada or EU would rise (finally).

My hopes were too high that changes in pricing were finally coming.
I was wrong.
Looking at this new matrix, the price floors of all those countries and India (where most of my students are) did not change.

So any small changes in other markets are pretty much meaningless.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why do you take away my ability to set my course price at $19.99 when I enter the Deals Program?  About 99.9% of my students pay a little over $10 for a course.  Why do you then take away my right to set my course price and instead set it to $89.99, a price that no student will ever pay?  I feel like Udemy is forcing me to lie to my students about how much they should expect to pay for a courses.