Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

📣 Introducing Udemy’s AI Principles!

ChrystieV
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Instructors,

We've got some exciting updates to share with you regarding our AI principles. As you know, we've been discussing AI quite a bit, and we've been following your discussions closely. We understand that with new advancements, questions and concerns naturally arise. That's why we're dedicated to keeping you informed every step of the way.

In our continuous efforts to be as transparent as possible, we're thrilled to announce the unveiling of our new AI principles. These principles will guide our AI development and usage moving forward. We want you to know exactly where we stand and the values we uphold as we explore the potential of AI technology.

One key aspect we want to highlight is the opt-out feature. We're committed to providing detailed information on how your content will be utilized, outlining the new features, and explaining what opting out entails. While we're still in the process of finalizing these details, we aim to provide you with comprehensive information by Q3.

For more information on our new AI principles, head over to the Teaching Center article linked here.

Stay tuned for further updates as we continue to build and refine our AI initiatives. We appreciate your ongoing support and patience and look forward to embarking on this journey with you.

More to come!

Chrystie

11 Comments
JasmineBayer
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Hi Chrystie,

Thank you for updating us . Can you please elaborate on what  "new GenAI offerings derived from instructor content" really means as the article is very vague. What exactly does udemy intend to do with the content?

1.Would udemy be using our content and repourposing it using AI generated instructors ?? 

2.Would it only be used for translation purposes?

3.Would we be notified when our content is used ? 

Would appreciate if you could send us some more details so that instructors like myself could make a more informed decision if we want to opt in or out.

Rahul Iyer
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

I appreciate your clear communication on integrating Generative AI (GenAI) into our platform. The principles respecting our intellectual property and enhancing the human element in teaching are commendable. Allowing us to opt out of GenAI offerings and ensuring transparency shows your commitment to collaboration.

I'm optimistic about GenAI's potential to improve our educational offerings and look forward to how it will support our mission to transform lives through learning. Thank you for prioritizing transparency, respect, and shared success.

Thor
Community Champion

I think that is an excellent start, somewhat vague, but a start 🙂

Does Udemy at any point plan to compete with instructors on any of the current content offerings? Videos, practice questions, assessments, labs?

To the: "benefit all our stakeholders — learners, instructors, and organizations.", maybe add shareholders? We have to be honest, with being public, Udemy's priorities have shifted.

I think these are excellent principles, particularly the respect for instructor's intellectual property rights and compensation for using our material. This will go a long way to reducing anxiety, something being experienced by all content creators now.

For each of these principles there will be dozens of tests as practices develop. Principles are easy, applying them is often difficult. I hope we can have frank conversations about those practices. 

ChrystieV
Community Manager
Community Manager

@JasmineBayer These are all great questions, and I understand your desire for more clarity on how your content will be used. We decided to release the principles outlined in the Teaching Center article to give instructors insight into how we are thinking about GenAI at Udemy.

You can expect to hear more detailed information about how instructor content will be used in the coming months (and well before you will need to make a decision whether to opt-in or out). 

We appreciate your patience. More to come in the months ahead!

Alexia
Community Champion

Love the opt out option! The rest will just BE to me, because AI is revolutionary and disruptive to all industries. I don’t think anybody can really see what the future will look like and I appreciate this update with what is happening thus far. 

Marious
Community Champion

Great start. Well done.

Mufaddal
Mentor Mentor
Mentor

Thank you .  Looking forward to more updates 

DrMJ
Researcher
Researcher

Hi @ChrystieV 

I appreciate this updated information. 

After reading the Teaching Center Article I have a question.  With the opt out option being yearly, will it automatically cover every course, or will we be able to select the ones that want opted in?

MarinaT
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @DrMJ

Great questions! We don't have the specifics on opting in and out yet, but we'll update you as soon as we have more information ðŸ˜Š

RogerKayAllen
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

The principles are reassuring to me. I can certainly see the benefits for learners and companies who want to create better learning paths and faster upskilling of their employees. However, as an instructor, I have concerns about what it means for us. I appreciate that the principles speak to this and look forward to more information as Udemy clarifies its path forward.