cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated content policies: Audio and Video Standards

RyanJaress
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Instructors! We are pleased to announce two exciting policy updates straight from our Trust & Safety Team. These changes have been driven by valuable feedback from our esteemed instructors like you. Get ready to embrace more flexibility in your course creation process! 🚀

First, we are now accepting courses created with text-to-speech software. We have consistently heard from instructors about their interest in using these programs, and recent advancements in the technology meet our content standards. Usage of text-to-speech tools in your course creation and editing can offer enhanced accessibility and flexibility for you as well as your learners.

While we’re excited about the new opportunities this technology offers, usage of text-to-speech will need to follow a few guidelines. For example, if the audio sounds robotic, contains noticeable mispronunciations, or is otherwise distracting or in violation of the Audio or other Quality Standards, it will not be accepted for publication. As always, courses that perform well in the marketplace may be considered for curation into Udemy Business as well. You can learn more about UB curation here.

Second, we are designating a Course Setup Lecture, as a space for instructors to share required course resources which would otherwise be restricted to the Bonus Lecture. We are committed to keeping course material free of promotional content but are optimistic that this additional lecture type will help learners get discounts for relevant and course-essential external tools and resources such as exam vouchers and software discounts.

To learn more about these updates, please see the Audio and Video Standards and Course Setup Lecture policy pages, which have updated our policies effective today.

23 Comments
FrankKane
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

It would be nice if the policy expressly prohibited sampling the voices of other instructors for creating their AI speech.

ThomasMitchell
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

This is sad news.  

Veasna, M.
Storyteller Storyteller
Storyteller

This is a good news! Especially for non-english speaking instructors. 

Thank you for giving more space for us on Udemy!

NargisWalji057
Observer
Observer

I used text to speech in my course '

Teach preschooler/Kindergartner Math -with Montessori Method"

and was asked to change that. i just did that .

nargis

GauravSingh194
Researcher
Researcher

This is sad news

MirkoNasato
Traveler Traveler
Traveler

I have a question about the Course Setup Lecture @RyanJaress.

Do I understand the "What shouldn’t I put in a Course Setup Lecture?" section correctly that we're still not allowed to say something like "this course on Algebra requires knowledge of Arithmetic. If you don't know Arithmetic yet please take this other course first (link)." (Where Algebra and Arithmetic are obviously just an example.)

If so that's not very useful unfortunately, at least for my own courses.

ANAC
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

I am delighted with this news. As a teacher with a progressive neurological disease that affects my speech, I am able to use high quality voice cloning. You really wouldn't know the difference - even my partner can't tell the difference.

Being unable to speak fully has prevented me from creating new courses as I can't afford to pay voice over actors. 

So this move creates accessibility and i am pleased that the standards are high in preventing robotic, monotonous speech.

IrfanSharif
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

@ANAC which tool are you using for such voice cloning?

ANAC
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

I was trialling Speechki but they went under. I don't find Descript so great, but some people find it works well. I flip between softwares to find the best, but I'm always on the lookout for the best result. However, it's not 100% use. It's a fall back only and I record my own voice on good days.

durrani276
Traveler Traveler
Traveler

This can be abused by the public by making complete courses using chatgpt written script and using such softwares.

I think this is a bad step towards the platform. 

I am hopeful this gets reverse soon as it will affect hardworking instructors working days on creating a single course. 

ANAC
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

But what about the good teachers, producing original content who develop a speech issue? They should not be discriminated against and they still are working days and weeks on creating their courses.

It is disability discrimination to exclude their teachings because their speech is affected through no fault of their own. 

Should Stephen Hawking have been banned from teaching students because he had a synthetic voice? NO. He changed world thinking on physics and the universe whilst using artificial speech for most of his life.

As for chatgpt written scripts, that's a different debate and shouldn't be confused with accessibility.

ChrisBankes120
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

@durrani276 

Out of curiosity I asked ChatGPT how one can differentiate your course against a course created by someone "by the public by making complete courses using chatgpt written script and using such softwares."

ChatGPT told me in detail what to do.

The problem is the students who enrol but DON'T watch (about 82% of my 212,000 students have never watched anything) . If they're not going to watch they'll just enrol on the course that appears in their email etc and if there are 100 'chatgpt courses' plus yours (even if yours is differentiated etc) then you'll probably lose out.

But then - and this is just an example - in 45 minutes (or 2 minutes fast forwarding) with no prerequisites I can '..Be able to practice professionally as a Child Psychologist...Be Fully Qualified As A Child Psychologist...Fully Accredited Professional Child Psychology Diploma...'  then authenticity is perhaps not the key criteria here...

ANAC
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Interesting indeed and yes, evven with fully human made, created, spoken and presented, so many don't finish the course! Lots to ponder thanks

durrani276
Traveler Traveler
Traveler

@ChrisBankes120 Yes very much true. But the fact is that I can be anyone. I can also even clone celebrities voices and create courses in their names.

For example I can be MKBHD with tons of courses on youtube and content creation.

I can be anyone and then this becomes naturally unfair. Although udemy might allow it but morally its so unfair. Udemy should take proper action against the abuse of this previlege. Otherwise for special instructors like ANAC exceptions can be made.

MarinaT
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @MirkoNasato

Great question! I recommend verifying this with our policy team to ensure compliance with our guidelines. You can reach out to them via email at policy@udemy.com.

Thank you so much! 

ANAC
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

It can get quite scary but I am sure Udemy will have thorough checks. for example. On Amazon KDP and Youtube, you now have to declare if your work was created with AI. It's not prohibited but you have to be honest. I'm happy to say that sometimes on my own youtubes etc, I use a voiceover clone, upfront. It's only been in a couple of places, but it could get worse. Yet it takes just as long to plan the courses and in fact longer to create, if you have something impeding your recording ability. Editing time for example is exhausting. 

It will be interesting to see where it goes but I would have no issue with a declaration on submission of the work being ai in part, full or human.

MarinaT
Community Manager
Community Manager

I also wanted to address the question raised by @FrankKane here and provide an update to ensure clarity, particularly for instructors who may have concerns about voice plagiarism:

We wanted to ensure you that our teams will be on the lookout for any impersonation of both content and voice. There are additional questions and screenings that Trust & Safety would employ when there is an apparent voice mismatch to the instructor.  

Any usage of text-to-speech programs to attempt to impersonate an instructor would not be permitted and result in a ban. 

Saisulaiman
Researcher
Researcher

I welcome this development.

I personally like the acceptance of the use of text-speech software in course creation. The world keeps on changing so we've to embrace changes.  As a retired professional teacher,  I discover that even the online learning opportunity we're providing on Udemy and other platforms  is still new and unpopular among some conservative learners, they can't stop us from getting the benefits and conveniences that online learning entails.

My question is, can I combine my voice recording and the text-to-speech audio in a single course? I mean combining organic voice  (OV) with an artificial voice (AV), or simply, using OVAV  in appropriate places and ways within a course.

For example, I can use OV in my promotional or self-introduction video to let learners have  a feel of my personality characteristics, and AV in the instructional videos where objectivity, factual information, illustrations and use of diverse teaching methods, will significantly make a course useful and appealing to learners.

You can also contribute to this issue by giving more examples on using  OVAV  in appropriate places and ways within a course.  Thank you.

ANAC
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Out of interest and completely just for fun, I created the videos for a mini course ( it was never published here or anywhere, but I wanted to play).

For each video, I introduced the learning points in own voice. The video lecture itself, used a realistic voice from elenvenlabs. It sounded perfect! then I summarised at the end in my own voice. The really interesting part was that for each subsequent video lesson, I chose a different VO from elevenlabs and alternated between male and female VO's. In total I had used four different VO's, plus me.

I then shared my series of videos in their learning sequence, with some friends and they all agreed it kept their interest and retention better. 

It was a small personal experiment but gave me a lot to think about. 

For today's online students, so many are hooked on the quick TikTok  culture of videos and some just like to read the subtitles only, or listen to audio in the car on the way to work. Keeping learners engaged is changing and experimenting was fun, but also informative. 

It's just food for thought and wouldn't work for many types of courses, but it was interesting to do.

Saisulaiman
Researcher
Researcher

Yes, combining organic voice (OV)  and  artificial voice (AV) wouldn't work for some types of courses. Courses teaching skills through demonstrations,  for example, require the voice and video of the instructor making explanations.

I like the experiment you've made.

ANAC
Trailblazer Trailblazer
Trailblazer

Totally agree. It works best where the video lecture is slides with a VO. I agree demonstrations need the presenter.

As a new member of the community I found that the Course Setup Lecture is useful. Thank you

IanBradley63
Traveler Traveler
Traveler

Massively worried by this, very easy not just to abuse but basically copy someone's content straight off through the amazing work Udemy does with auto transcription. I'd hope to have more oversight and restrictions with these. It would be very easy to create a bot to create content that is just stolen work.

I understand that being able to teach in other languages is a plus, a non-native speaker can now use an AI learning model and then a text to speech to make course content, but this is only going to lead to subpar products. I am working with people to translate my more popular content into Spanish and Korean. That takes time, money and other experts to do, if I use AI then it won't be as good, won't translate the nuances and culture that the different languages need