Hi, I am fairly new

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, I am fairly new

Go to solution

I joined Udemy about six months ago and posted a single course at that time.  It was priced in the lowest tier but sat there with no subscriptions until I changed it to free.

Within days the subscription numbers skyrocketed.  That encouraged me to publish another free course and a paid one.  Again the latter in the lowest pricing tier.

Subscriptions for the free courses kept increasing to 1600 while nothing for the paid one.  Take it back, yesterday someone signed up for it then somehow withdrew.

I am probably coming to the conclusion that my material must be horrible and that I should give up.  I have been teaching for decades but I think I must not fit this medium and should forget about it.  Or, is it possible that this platform attracts people looking for free stuff and I might as well stick to youtube if that's the case?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Go to solution

Hi Drewprof, I just looked at your courses and it's pretty clear, to me at least, why you're not getting any traction. I particularly looked at your 'Struct in C' course... if I remember correctly, I think it had 7 lectures and was a little over an hour long. Another had 5 lectures (2 were preview lectures so i'm paying for 3 lectures) and was 50 minutes long and you were asking me to pay 13.99 for it. Please don't take this the wrong way, but in my mind they are not courses, more like snippets from a course... something you would find on Youtube. IMO, I don't think you'll get people paying for that. I could be wrong, but I have bought courses in c# and c++ and they are fully blown... learn these languages courses, with 100s of lectures and solid projects to follow.

I think you need to take a step back, have a look at your format and research how others have presented thier courses. Your style is OK, I can follow you clearly enough, although I'm sure he's cute, but I'm not sure I want to know about your cat. This type of learning can easily be done on YouTube because you're only offering a tiny fraction.

I hope you don't mind me saying all of that, but IMO, I would certainly start looking there. Also, there a ton of coding course on Udemy, and you need to stand out.

Hope it helps...

Kevin...

View solution in original post

51 Replies

Go to solution

Is there a mass message within a course?  I seem to have found a one-to-one communication and even then, I am not sure if the message reaches the student within a free course.  In addition, am I allowed to make them aware of a paid course from within Udemy, specially when I come up with new material?

Go to solution
Definitely! You can send promotional emails twice a month to all your students or just from specific courses so you did marketing wise a fantastic job although I don’t remember if you can still send messages to students from a free course, it worked but a lot changed so I don’t remember

Go to solution

My conversion rate on my free courses has been between 90% to 68%.  I am confused!  If they seem to like the free stuff, why not try the paid stuff?  

LawrenceMMiller
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

Because it is not free. 

Conversion rates on free courses mean absolutely nothing. If you stand on the street handing out your brilliant new book, 90% of the people passing by might take it. What does that tell you about how it will sell in a store? Absolutely nothing.

Lawrence M. Miller
Author/Instructor
KarolyNyisztor
Community Champion Community Champion
Community Champion

Go to solution

>> My conversion rate on my free courses has been between 90% to 68%.
>> If they seem to like the free stuff

Wrong conclusion. Those numbers do not mean anything. What really counts is the completion rate.
What percentage of your free course have those students watched? If it's not close to 100%, they don't actually like it. They enrolled just because it was free.

We keep telling you that, but you're not listening.
Why do you expect a different result if you keep doing what you've been doing? Anyway, I'm done here.

Karoly Nyisztor - Software Engineer, Author, Entrepreneur, and Life Hacker

Go to solution

@KarolyNyisztor I am not arguing against your points.  I am merely expressing what I see from how I understand this platform, at this stage.  Actually, I must thank you for clarifying the facts and I appreciate them.  Stay tuned, I might pull something off and not look so useless or clueless, I just need time.  Again, forgive me for appearing abstruse...

Go to solution

You do not have to feel that way, of course you can always improve your material. When I started a few months ago, I had similar experiences, for my first paid course, there was over 30% refunds. I felt my contents were terrible to. But that was the last time I had such experience. I improved on my next course to. 

@drewprof wrote:

I joined Udemy about six months ago and posted a single course at that time.  It was priced in the lowest tier but sat there with no subscriptions until I changed it to free.

Within days the subscription numbers skyrocketed.  That encouraged me to publish another free course and a paid one.  Again the latter in the lowest pricing tier.

Subscriptions for the free courses kept increasing to 1600 while nothing for the paid one.  Take it back, yesterday someone signed up for it then somehow withdrew.

I am probably coming to the conclusion that my material must be horrible and that I should give up.  I have been teaching for decades but I think I must not fit this medium and should forget about it.  Or, is it possible that this platform attracts people looking for free stuff and I might as well stick to youtube if that's the case?

Go to solution

Its quite common for most of the instructor in Udemy facing challenges with free users versus paid users but just promote your course link using social media platform definitely your sales will start

Go to solution

Don't give up! It must be a non-stop mission.

Go to solution

I have reduced the number of free courses and now I only have two to three enrollments a day.  So far, I made a fortune for November: $9.00 (zero on Black Friday LOL).

So may hours of work for that; I must really suck at this dazzle me with fluff and short snippets of feel good ADD compatible stuff.  I don't think Udemy is for me.   I should move on and start my own platform with my own marketing.  

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Introductions
Create a video to introduce yourself and watch other videos from instructors to get to know them. We recommend including your name, what you teach, and what you hope to learn in your video.
Top Liked Authors